Getting traffic to a site is more harder than creating or maintaining a site/blog. But, if we know the proper techniques and methods, getting constant traffic to your site/blog is made easy. Personally, I've tried a lot of ways before to improve traffic to my previous blog. But, not all were useful. But, later by experience I found really quick, effective and proven ways to increase Search Engine Ranking hence improving organic traffic to my blog. Here, I want to share some of them in this post.
1. Usage of Meta tags- Meta tags play a major role in improving search engine ranking. The most important meta tags are Description and keyword. If you use appropriate keywords which are really related with your blog content, I am sure that you will see a good flow of traffic to your blog. Here is an example of meta tags.
<meta name="keywords" content="keyword1, keyword2, keyword3"/>
There are a lot of free meta tag generators in the web. Try googling it or visit scrubtheweb's tool.
2. Submit your site/blog to search engines. It is very important to submit your blog to popular search engines like Google, Yahoo!, and MSN. Submission to those three search engine is good enough as more than 90% of the organic traffic comes from these three major search engines. Submitting your site on hundreds of thousands search engines using free directory submission services wouldn’t help and is simply not worth. So, submit your site manually to Google, Yahoo! and MSN.
3. Google webmaster tool- When you submit your site or blog sitemap to Google webmaster tool, Google will crawl your site and automatically your posts will be indexed in Google Search.And with this great tool, you can easily identify which keyword is giving you more visitors,and how much backlink you have,etc.
4. Add your site/blog to directories. You can add your blog into Technorati, Blogcatalog, Globeofblogs, and etc. As they have have high page ranks, you will get not only visitors but also quality backlinks to your blog.
5. Interlink your posts. If you are bored or have no idea what to post, then this is the best thing to do in meantime. Analyze your previous posts, search for the terms which are related to other posts and hyperlink them. You can see, I used this technique in this post. By doing this, you can encourage your visitors to read other posts hence increasing your page views. Other than that, you can also increase Google Page Rank because internal links are also count apart from the backlinks from other blogs to your blog.
6. Social Networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, and etc are popular nowadays. So, they are the best platforms to promote your website and blog for free. You can create a Facebook Page or twitter account for your blog like mine and update your readers/fans/followers about your latest posts.
7. Register at top social bookmarking sites like Stumble Upon, Digg, Reddit, Delicious, Newsvine, Yahoo Buzz, etc. Submit bookmarks of your best posts and latest posts to these sites. And you should choose the best category when submitting your posts so that people can find your post easily otherwise it will be "buried". In my experience, Stumble Upon brings a lot of traffic to my blog other than organic traffic every time I submit bookmarks of my posts at there.
I hope that these tips will be helpful to you to increase traffic to your site and blog. But, remember....always post original and unique content. Search engines and readers hate stolen content.
I will post second part of this article later. If you have any questions you can send an email via contact form or drop your comment down here. Happy trying....^_^ !!!